Complements Six tips: Caring for the skin around your eyes
The skin around your eyes is delicate and sensitive. It is also one of the first areas on your face to show signs of aging. While you can’t exactly erase the aging process, there are a few habits you can start now to help slow down the process:
- Remove your makeup every day. Not taking off your makeup – which includes removing eye makeup – risks bacteria build up, which can cause irritation, redness and the chance of infection. It can also weaken the hair on your eyebrows and eyelashes, causing them to get thinner or even fall out.
- Invest in a good eye cream. Eye creams are specifically made to treat the thin and sensitive skin around your eyes. Additionally, there are products specifically for dark circles, to keep your skin hydrated, for sensitive skin and more.
- Get plenty of rest. Because the skin around your eyes is so delicate, it is the first place to show your lack of sleep. Get seven to eight hours of sleep every night to keep your skin’s youthful and refreshed appearance and help combat dark circles (link to old article).
- Use sunscreen daily. Just 20 minutes in the sun can cause damage to your skin, leading to hyperpigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles. Be sure your sunscreen has an SPF of 15 or higher. Also, don’t forget to wear your sunglasses!
- Stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water will ensure that your skin will be hydrated. Beverages with caffeine or alcohol dry out your skin, so drink those sparingly.
- Reduce your stress level. When you are stressed, your body releases a hormone called cortisol. Cortisol can increase the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and dry out your skin.
If you want to learn more about the skin care products and treatments Mount Nittany Physician Group Reconstructive & Cosmetic Surgery offers to help combat aging, schedule a skin consultation with me by calling 814.231.7878.