Complements How to care for your skin in your 20s
Maybe your skin is glowing or maybe you’re still struggling with teen acne. Whatever the case may be, your 20s is the perfect time to establish a skin care routine and nurture your complexion. The more proactive you are with taking care of your skin, the more likely you can delay age-related skin issues such as brown spots, fine lines and wrinkles.
- Please remove your makeup at night! Whatever you do, do not sleep with your makeup on. I’ve written about reasons to remove your makeup, but it is so important that I need to mention it again. Sleeping with your makeup on causes breakouts and enlarged pores, which no one wants. Too busy or too tired some nights? Keep makeup removing cloths on hand for quick removal.
- Make sure you are using the right cleanser. Everyone’s skin is different. Whether you have acne-prone, oily, dry, combination or sensitive skin, you want to match your cleanser to your skin type for optimal results. That acne cleanser you used in your teens may be too drying for your skin now. Take a minute and re-evaluate your products.
- Never skimp on exfoliating. I confess that I am a bit obsessed with exfoliating. It is a key step for removing the dead cells and continuing daily collagen renewal. I would recommend exfoliating two to three times a week. And don’t forget to moisturize to prevent aging and create a dewy appearance.
- Become SPF obsessed. Tanning is a one-way ticket to wrinkle city, along with brown spots and loss of elasticity later in life. Sun is the No. 1 cause of external skin aging, so protect your skin at all times regardless of the season. UV rays are always around.
- Skin can start to lose the ability to repair itself in your 20s, so it’s important to start an anti-aging regimen now. My two favorite products are vitamin C and retinol. Vitamin C has so many antioxidant benefits and is a collagen booster, while retinol creates faster skin cell turnover time and helps with acne.
Why not keep your skin as youthful as possible for as long as possible? You’ll thank me when your skin looks and feels luscious in 10 years. If you need help creating a skin care routine that works best for you and your lifestyle, schedule a consultation with Mount Nittany Physician Group Reconstructive & Cosmetic Surgery by calling 814.231.7878.